Feb 13 2017

Before you celebrate, pet proof your gift

meaty valentines

Valentine’s Day – a day of love and romance! But we can guarantee that a stop to the Veterinary Emergency Clinic is not what you have in mind as a romantic celebration.

Generally  we express our love with gifts of flowers and chocolates.  While these gifts are appreciated by those receiving them, some of them can be harmful or even deadly to curious pets.

Lilies are a popular flower commonly included in bouquets.  Exposure to any part of a lily, including the petals, stem, leaves and even the water they are in can lead to acute kidney failure in cats. Many other flowers can also pose a threat, so lets keep bouquets out of reach of your feline friends. If you suspect an exposure, contact us (or the Emergency Clinic) right away for care.

Dogs are exceptionally efficient at finding wrapped treats.  Some sweets like sugar-free candies containing xylitol pose a serious risk to our four legged furry friends.  Chocolate contains theobromine, a chemical similar to caffeine that is not well tolerated by dogs.  Depending on the type and amount ingested, dogs can experience stomach upset, agitation, high heart rates, tremors or worse if left untreated.  If your dog or other pet has gotten into something, call us for an assessment of the situation and further medical advice.
After hours Emergency Contact – (407) 644-4449

longwoodvc | Alerts & News

In the News