Oct 05 2015

Are Mushrooms Poisonous to Pets?

While most mushrooms are generally non-toxic, certain types can be very dangerous. One of the most dangerous is the Amanita phalloides or death cap mushroom which is found throughout the United States. The proper identification of mushrooms is extremely difficult and often only done by experts. Therefore, it is wise to consider all ingestions of unidentified mushrooms as toxic until proven otherwise. Depending on what type of mushroom is ingested, symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, depression, tremors, and seizures, with liver and kidney damage occurring later. Pet owners should scour their yard frequently to get rid of any mushrooms.
If you see your dog eat a mushroom, contact us immediately for treatment advice.

longwoodvc | Uncategorized

In the News

  • World Rabies Day

    September 24, 2020

    September 28th is an important day in human and animal health. September 28th marks…

  • Curbside Veterinary Care

    September 17, 2020

    As we adapt to the “new normal” during the COVID-19 pandemic the way we go about…