Mar 31 2016

Are mushrooms poisonous to dogs?

shrooms


While most mushrooms are generally non-toxic, certain types can be very dangerous. One of the most dangerous is the Amanita phalloides or death cap mushroom which is found throughout the United States. The proper identification of mushrooms is extremely difficult and often only done by experts. Therefore, it is wise to consider all ingestions of unidentified mushrooms as toxic until proven otherwise. Depending on what type of mushroom is ingested, symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, depression, tremors, and seizures, with liver and kidney damage occurring later. Pet owners should scour their yard frequently to get rid of any mushrooms.

If you see your dog eat a mushroom, contact us immediately for treatment advice.

longwoodvc | Alerts & News

In the News

  • Holiday Safety

    December 13, 2018

    Kinaras, and festive candles are lit, Christmas trees are decorated, fires burn, and…

  • Holiday Gifts for Pets

    December 6, 2018

    With the holidays just weeks away, don’t forget to add your pets to your shopping…